Growing leaders is a strategic priority for a successful business. John Adair writes:
- Is there sufficient focus on selecting the right team leaders?
- Are the results of the selection processes built into subsequent development programmes?
- Do newly appointed team leaders receive training covering the skills they will need to successfully lead?
- Are there processes for mentoring new team leaders? Do line managers effectively mentor their team leaders?
- Is there a balance between training and ‘in role’ development; such as appropriate project work or secondment?
- Are there any opportunities for team leaders to develop outside of the organisation? For example, completing external courses.
- How is the overall leadership development strategy evaluated for effectiveness?
- How do senior managers in the organisation play a part in showing they sponsor the strategy?
The contact centre world is a small one. Organisations that are good at developing leaders and have a strategy in place become known and admired. It just makes it a bit easier for these organisations to attract good people.
To be effective the strategy must be regularly reviewed to ensure it remains relevant; what is needed in team leader roles changes quickly in the contact centre environment.