Here are the top 10 things I’ve experienced recently as a customer that have left me wondering if, after all the talk and hype, it’s getting any better out there. I’m sure you can add to the list, so please leave a comment:
- Self –service check outs at supermarkets – surely the ultimate device designed by someone who had no intention of ever using them
- Telephone IVR systems – that ask you to enter your account number only for the advisor to immediately ask for your….. account number….
- Anything to do with garages, car servicing, body shops and the like – on balance, the more sincere the staff, the scarier…..
- Mobile broadband that only works properly 20% of the time – heaven knows they all paid enough for their 3G licences and it is 2010…..it should be working by now
- Hotels that charge for a wireless connection – hey, I have an idea……why not £3-50 for a bath or £2-00 for half an hour of electricity?
- Power leads that don’t fit into the laptop – even though the laptops and power leads were made by the same company
- Supermarkets where there are 4 times as many staff stacking shelves and looking important as serving customers – OK, getting the tins facing the same way is important…but on balance…..
- Shops that charge 1p for a carrier bag – (OK, I know the environment has to be saved…..)
- Cabin crew on planes – who watch passengers struggle with heavy bags – while sitting at the back discussing their night out….
- ‘Welcome’ messages at the start of train journeys that make you feel a bit like a criminal – ‘welcome aboard the 8 o’clock….oh by the way, if you haven’t got the right ticket and you’re travelling on a super apex off-peak saver, all sorts of nasty things are going to happen to you.’
I wonder if we’ll ever fight back?
Picture by Tim Simms